The Wamsutta Club is located in the heart of New Bedford, a city rich in tradition and history. In 1866, Charles Warren Clifford organized an athletic club to play a new version of baseball. That was the beginning of the Wamsutta Club. The Club soon evolved into a social club. As the Club grew, it made several moves to acquire more space. Former locations include the old Ricketson block of Purchase Street, the old Masonic Building at Pleasant and Union Streets, and after being formally chartered in 1889, the former Perry House at Union and County Streets. The present location, long one of New Bedford’s landmarks, had been built in 1821 by James Arnold. After the death of his widow in 1919, the Wamsutta Club purchased the Arnold Mansion. Two large wings were added on the north and south, and squash courts were added on the west side, in a basement addition.